Sunday 2 August 2009

Internet Friendship

The Archbishop of Westminster has condemned the role of social networking sites, claiming that they encourage the development of transient friendships. I can't help but wonder if he has ever actually viewed such a site. Certainly much of the content can be frivolous and transient, but I would challenge his assertion that this is true of the friendships connected there.

I have made few new friendships through the sites that I use, but I have been able to reconnect with so many old friends, with whom I had lost touch through career change, relocation or simple misfortune. And this seems to be common amongst those I contact through the sites. They are a valuable tool for keeping in touch with old friends and workmates, for maintaining friendships over long distances and rediscovering old friendships.

The discussion groups I participate in have opened my eyes to new perspectives, challenged my beliefs and made me contemplate so much I would not have done otherwise. Internet networking has added greatly to my life, socially and intellectually.

Young people's friendships have always been transient. Fallings-out are all too common, and the chopping and changing of school classes, not to mention the change of schools, puts paid to many a seeming lifelong friendship. And as parents move home with increasing frequency, chasing property wealth or career dreams, then this can only increase. Networking sites may actually ease this, and keep friendships going which might otherwise have faded away.

Perhaps the Archbishop needs to reconsider his pronouncement and actually try connecting himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment